I have started my 4th year back to work, after a 6 year hiatus during which time I finished my MFA, wrote a memoir and two novels, a lot of poetry and spent time 5 days a week writing and/or submitting. Going back to work really threw off my balance. I've learned I have three things I want to do well: parent, teach, and write. I am only capable of two of those things at a time. However, now that the kids are 9 (!), and developing their own interests and schedules, I've been able to carve out 90 minutes a week to write. No, it's not enough, but it's a good start. In the first month, I've completed two pieces (both essays) that I'm happy with.
And in other good starts, I've signed up to go to the
FIU Writing Conference in Grand Cayman. Conferences are always a good place to go - they provide assignments (which I need), feedback (which everyone needs), and solitude. I also signed up for a manuscript conference. In this way, I'm also giving myself deadlines, which are integral for me to get moving.
My thesis director Denise says there's a poem in the fact that I wrote a memoir about trying to have babies, and now that I have them, cannot find the time to write about them. I'm sure there is a poem there - now I have to make the time to write it!
No comments:
Post a Comment