Saturday, November 7, 2009

Publication News - Not Mine!

So last week I had a letter published in the Miami Herald - nothing to do with publishing, but much to do with my other great passion - child welfare. Then this week, there was an article in the USA Today, accompanied by a picture of the fabulously funny gay couple from Modern Family, that quoted me. The connection to USA Today happened as all things seem to: because I knew someone. A dear friend, trying to help my get my memoir published a few years ago, gave my info to her sister who worked at USA Today. The sister passed it on to a fellow reporter, who held on to it for 4 years. After deciding to write this article, she looked me up on the Internet, and eventually found me at work. Which got me thinking, what else is being said about me on the "series of tubes."
So I Googled myself (which is not as dirty as it sounds) and discovered this: someone's doctoral thesis about prose poems, in which my poem "IVF Diary," was mentioned alongside a prose poem by Oscar Wilde. This is all great news - but I'm still not where I want to be. However, I'm also not being as aggressive as I could be either. Which is my fault. However, for every batch of queries I send out for my novel, I get at least one request for a partial. This is a good sign, I think. Just not quite good enough. Yet.

No comments: