Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Dispatch from Key West, Day 2

Still no Judy Blume sighting - but it's coming - never fear. I had a VERY encouraging meeting today with an agent and a writer. Any friends and/or family who have read the novel so far have been similarly encouraging, but it's just different to have someone who isn't forced by the bounds of politeness to be so supportive. I'm writing like a fiend, as the main advice given to me was "finish it!"
It's what I plan to do.
Not to reveal too much, but in the name of research I've found some old college textbooks. I read today two essays - one by WEB Du Bois and another by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. It's been fun to see a) how little I remember from my undergraduate years, because by highlighting alone, I can tell I read them before and b) how I see things so differently now - not sure if it's just that my interest has changed, or I'm just a better reader now. Probably both, right?

No comments: