
The woman who owns this B & B is a friend of Judy's. She has been listening to what I guess is called JudyQuest since I arrived. She said she went through a similar thing prior to meeting her years ago. She pointed out to me yesterday that perhaps I should not meet her, because the period of stalking would be over, and how I could never go back to crazed fanatic. It is good advice, I guess, but in reality, I'm not that crazy, and I'm not really that star-struck - just, Judy Blume is part of my childhood (since I'm at a writing conference, perhaps I should say "she is part of my childhood narrative") - but really, that sounds pretentious.
Anyway, today Judy Blume, Carolyn Mackler, and Gigi Amateau talked about Young Adult books - both the history of them and the future of them. It was a good talk - I thought about some things in a new way. Judy led it - and was very sweet and supportive to these new writers - which is how I imagined she would be. Censorship is near and dear to her heart - something I wasn't that aware of, growing up in a city where the only book banned was a picture book about Cuba, so that part was interesting too.
Afterwards, was the book signing. I dutifully stood in line, with my 4 books (truthfully, I have 6 of hers down here, but I did exercise control). When it was my turn, I thanked her for her generosity, as one of the sponsors of my trip down here. She asked if I was writing anything, and I told her, and that I had had a consult. I told her about my kids (I have no guilt about playing the Triplet Card) as she signed books for them. When she was done, I thanked her again, for being an important part of my childhood.
She smiled and put her hand on my arm and said something sweet. I was just so happy not be crying.
I do have a large camera that I've been lugging around - perhaps I'll get a picture with her later - we'll see.
But The Moment happened. And it was good.
(Re: photo - from left to right - Carolyn Mackler, JUDY BLUME, and Gigi Amateau on stage at the KWLS. Photo taken by Trevor Corson, Lobster Aficianado)
2 comments:
Post some of those photos! And remember, it's only stalking if you get caught!
I'm happily living vicariously through you.....
Post a Comment